Friday, October 3, 2008

Missing EFY and Easy Decisions

It's that time again. Right now I am having the hardest time NOT applying to work EFY again next summer. I love working EFY. I've done it for the past three summers. It has helped me grow in more ways than I can count and I have learned so much from those I worked with. I love teaching the gospel and getting to know the youth who go to EFY with desires to increase their testimonies. I truely was a missionary to those kids. I made so many memories and friends that I can't help but want to make more. Yet, I stop myself short of applying again for many reasons. One is that after a conversation wtih my brother Steven, I realized that if I want to date and get married, I have to get out of my comfort zone and do things that I haven't done before or do things differently.
When I work EFY, I really don't have that much of a social life believe it or not. It's complicated to explain, but even while working with other YSA like me, I still don't really date during the summers. I'm always so focused on helping the youth during the week and then I sleep on the weekends. I have become friends with lots of guys, but nothing more.
The second reason is because I feel like I need to start earning enough money to start supporting myself. I will graduate in April and will no longer be covered by my parents, so I need to get a job where I might have benefits and be paid more. (EFY is about $2.47 an hour when you figure that it is almost 19 hour day, six and a half days a week job.) I've thought about being a Building Counselor that works more weeks and is paid more, which would be different in a way, but it still would be socially in the same situation. I just don't know. EFY would be the easy thing for me to do because I love it and it's not terribly challenging for me. BUT...
So, needless to say, I need more options of what I can do for work after I graduate. Maybe those who read this will think of some things. I've thought about working at an adolescent treatment center and try to become a seminary teacher. To be a seminary teacher I have to take some training classes that are very competive. I am thinking to do that next fall, but no matter what I will need to find some work that I will enjoy as well as earn money to save. I don't have a car, so that poses a problem, too, but I could save money for a bus pass. I would like to stay in Utah because I like the potential dating opportunities that are here. I heard about something called Teach For America today that was really appealling, but doing that requires a two year committment, living in another state, and a car, unless I do it in New York City. I'm posting all this with hopes that anyone who reads this can give me some more ideas!

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Decisions, decisions. Graduation is so dang hard! I thought long and hard about the Teach for America idea... really cool, I think. They do have programs in Arizona which have a really high LDS population. You could also check into some local charter schools... they don't generally require a teaching certificate and I think you would have fun teaching. I know some other ideas I had when I was trying to figure things out was to move to like DC or Boston (really good YSA programs out there) and get a job or nanny or something. I've had a few cousins that love doing the nanny thing. If you get a job up in Salt Lake and/or decide to move up here, I'm in a crazy-awesome ward...

I'll let you know if I think of anything else. But I'm sure that you'll end up where you need to be. I love the way that works!! Glad things are going well for you!

Tamster said...

Growing up's not all it's cracked up to be, is it?! I hate making decisions, too.

I always thought the nanny idea sounded fun when I was younger, but I think you are beyond that. You will have a degree; there is no reason to go nanny now. That's not a job that will take you anywhere really. Of course, if you felt like it was right, then that's a different story, but just speaking logically, I don't think that's for you.

I think your thought to stay in Utah for now sounds more like you. I don't know anything about that Teach for America thing, but a two-year commitment does sound hard to give. I remember at one point after my mission thinking about moving to Australia for a time and working there--just because I'd always wanted to go there and thought an adventure while I was still young sounded fun. When it really came down to it, though, I wasn't sure I really wanted to be alone on the other side of the world where I knew no one. I am too much of a family person; I don't like to be alone. I also felt like I was getting older and if I ever wanted to get married it wasn't a good idea to leave the most likely place to meet someone. It was not likely that I'd marry someone I met in Australia, not that that couldn't have happened, but I didn't think I really wanted that anyway. Frankly, I think it came down to not feeling like I should do it. (I'd still love to visit Australia someday, though.) I probably wouldn't have met Jeremy if I had gone to Australia then. Funny how that works!

Ultimately, the best advice I can give you is to do what you've probably already been doing--be prayerful, study the scriptures, and follow the Spirit. You'll know what's right for you. Doors will open. Things will work out!

I love ya, Michelle! Good luck with your search! :-)

P.S. What kinds of options does your degree give you? Just curious.

Kristi said...

Hi Michelle! I just happened on your blog and thought I would check it out! The only thing I can say is: you WILL miss EFY next summer. Both summers since I've been married I have thought about it and missed it. Probably the only draw back to being married is no EFY. It will be exciting for you to do something new though. Hope you find something great!