Monday, April 23, 2012

Happiness is Homemade

I've made some small, but significant changes in my life in the past week that have really helped me to finally feel genuinely happy again. It's been a hard year so far, but things are getting better and I am growing. Grandma is doing significantly better, although she is not exactly back to where she was before the surgeries in February. She is doing most everything on her own again. I have concerns still, but not as many worries about her, which is nice. Things have settled somewhat, at least for the time being.

One change I've made is I'm making low-sodium meals for Grandma and me. I bought two cookbooks and I absolutely love them. I'm very excited to learn how to cook new foods and use spices/seasonings other than salt. I invite someone over to eat with us most every time I cook because there is always too much for the two of us to eat. There are always leftovers! So far I've made chicken fettuccine and pork roast with sweet potatoes. I also made home made BBQ sauce. So far so good. It feels good. I really enjoy inviting people over to share the meal because it is giving me a great opportunity to get to know new people as well as get to know people I already know, better. I've already seen the blessings of doing this, so I'm exited to keep going with it.

The other thing I've started is indexing through familysearch.org. Wow. I kind of wish I'd started sooner because I really like it. I do have lots of other family history things I need to work on, but it's a really easy and fairly quick way to do family history and know that I am making a difference.

Tonight my ward, along with two other wards, hiked to the G on the mountain in PG. It was a lot of fun. That is a big deal for me to say because I actually REALLY HATE that hike. But this time it wasn't so bad and I think it's because I was surrounded by my friends who were going as slow and breathing as hard as I was. This time I hiked to the top of the G. That's hard after a tiring hike, but I did it! It was a great way to begin the season of hiking.

Shirt says, "What happens at Grandma's stays at Grandma's"


At the bottom of the G with Heather

At the top of the G. I could see my house from there, but not the bottom.
Scripture that's been helping me this past little while:

D&C 122: 5-7
"Know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee, for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

No comments: