Monday, April 18, 2011

Tomorrow is the Day

My grandma is going in tomorrow to have her pacemaker put in. She has to be at the hospital at 5 AM. Luckily my aunt Cindy is here to take her.

I was reading the  pamphlet on the kind of pacemaker she probably will be getting and it says that if it senses a rapid heartbeat, it will send pulses of electricity to try to fix it. If that doesn't work, then it will send a shock to reset the heart. When the shock happens, the person usually goes unconscious so they don't feel it. But if they are awake, it feels like a kick in the chest. They could stay unconscious for a couple minute, but any longer than that means trouble. Also, if more than one shock is given, that means trouble, too. Considering both parts of her heart are bad, I wouldn't be surprised if she has to get shocked at some point. That's scary. The pamphlet said for her to have someone there when it happens to have them ready to call. Either way, I hope I am nearby so I can be there to help.

No comments: