Saturday, April 16, 2011

Update on Grandma

Yesterday she went to the doctor upon my request to get more information on the possibility of her getting a pacemaker as the doctor suggested to her on her last visit. The doctor informed her that her heart rate was at 30 when it should be at 60-70. He also said that the top of her heart and the bottom of her heart are both bad. She couldn't remember the specifics about that, so I don't know what the means exactly. Last week she had an angiogram and that was perfect, so I am assuming it has something to do with the muscle and not the arteries or veins.

The doctor convinced her that she has to have it done, so she decided to do it this coming week, probably on Tuesday. We hope to hear from the doctor soon to confirm that, but the doctor never called her back and they are closed until Monday, so she may not have it done until Wednesday or Thursday. The doctor recommended the best procedure would be to insert a CRT (Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy) Defibrillator. Basically, the device inserted sends electrical impulses when it senses a rapid heart beat in order to "reset" the heart so it beats normally. The wires of the device wrap around the the whole heart and not just half of it.

My aunt Cindy will be here as well as maybe my uncle Bob. I'm glad I'm living here now so I can help her, although it can be a bit overwhelming at times to think about it all.

In other news, I invited my new friends over for a game night and movie night last night and it was awesome! It felt good to not think about reality and just have fun. We played a very fun game called "Boxers and Briefs" (I assure you it has nothing to do with either one of those) and then we watched "Tangled." I LOVE that movie, especially with commentary made by the people watching it. And the other girls there confirmed my suspicions about the boys trying to impress me... it still makes me laugh, mostly because their methods are so different. It sure makes me feel welcome, though. :D

No comments: