Saturday, May 21, 2011

Where are we??


Well, if you couldn't guess, this is actually our attempt to hike Stewart Falls in Provo, UT today. Stewart Falls is my most favorite hike, mostly because it's a different adventure every time I go. Well, I definitely wasn't expecting this kind of adventure. Word to the wise: If you're going to hike someplace after it's been raining everyday for the past week, you might consider renting some snowshoes and bringing some gloves. I knew right where the trailhead was, but from there on out, the trail was completely covered in snow. We followed the footprints of other hikers hoping it would take it to the right place... apparently not. The snow was really deep and the other thing we could do was hike straight through it, which I know is not how the trail goes to the falls. I honestly believe that hiking straight led us to the Mt. Timp trail, because where we hiked to we saw some trail, but it was paved and the beginning of Mt. Timp trail is definitely paved and Stewart Falls is definitely not. One of the best parts was occasionally stepping and falling through so our whole leg is under the snow. It was really deep snow and with the sun shining, it got pretty soft.

We ended up hiking through the snow up to a large bowl where we saw a couple avalanches. Fortunately, they were too far away to do us any harm, but it sure scared me anyway. Where we found the trail, we saw where the snowmelt created a cool looking tunnel. We decided to hike as far as we could and then build a snowman. The snow was perfect!! We named him Fettuccine. He's in the Italian Mafia. Secret trail... secret snowman...  My new favorite thing... hiking to snow falls. Yeah, you guessed it... it's just another name for avalanches. I'd feel pretty safe with Fettuccine there with me, though!

No comments: