Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Random Thoughts

For the past many years I've told people that I don't really like Halloween. I've been thinking about it, and I decided that I do like Halloween except for two things about it--scary and gruesome. I think it's kind of cool that one day a year we can dress up as anything we want to just for fun and then it's okay to go around to neighbors (or strangers) houses to receive a treat. It's a fun holiday in that way. I just really, really don't like the feelings of being scared or the gruesome decorations, etc. that come with Halloween. Hence, why it is my least favorite holiday.

Speaking of holidays, I've been thinking a lot about the holiday season and the spirit that fills the air during the season. Yes, it's commercialized, but I do my very best not to get into that by doing what I can to personally make it a time of year to celebrate my Savior's birth and show my love for family and friends. I do my best all year round to remember the Savior and serve others, but there is just something about this time of year that just makes me so happy. In the past, I've tried to make my Christmas gifts to family and friends meaningful. Usually they've been homemade gifts, but I'm really struggling to know what else I can do. I don't normally express my love through gift giving, so that's another reason why Christmas is a special time for me to show my love for my family.

I've debated just buying gifts like everyone else in the world, but then I think about my financial situation. I just looked at my dental insurance claims (because they've finally been processed) and it makes me sick to think how much I have to pay for the implant. I know it's what I needed to do, but it still makes me sick thinking about it. I should be able to pay it off fairly quickly, but it won't be without some sacrifice. I'm used to doing that by now anyway, but it sure makes Christmas a little more difficult to figure out.

I am super excited for the holiday season to begin. When I was younger, my family and I did the 12 days of Christmas for a family. We would give them one piece of the Nativity everyday with a nice little phrase or scriptures and a goody. We also usually chose a family who we would provide "Christmas" for if we knew they were in need. I will never forget those traditions and how they made me feel closer to Christ. I want to continue these traditions in my own family, starting now. Right now I don't have the funds to provide Christmas for a family in need, but I can do the 12 days of Christmas thing. There also may be a way that I can start doing the other tradition without spending too much money... I don't know. Anyway, I spent some time online tonight looking stuff up and now I'm really excited to get started. I'm not sure who I will do the 12 days of Christmas for yet, but it will be great.

I'm also really excited to go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I always look forward to setting up my Christmas village the day after Thanksgiving. This year, though, I'm going to bring some (if not all) of my village back to UT with me to set up in my basement to enjoy. I have a house or piece of the village to represent every year of my life. Since it will be my home for a while, I might as well, really make it feel like home. I also want to set up a Christmas tree and decorate it with my ornaments I've collected over the years. I hope my mom will be okay with that, mostly because I didn't think I'd want to do that until I was married. We've purposely collected Christmas houses, ornament, and angels enough that when I take them away, my mom will still have some to set out. I know it won't be the same, but it's something I want to do. If anything, it would be good to give my future husband a really good warning about what he'd be getting himself into if some day, when he is dating me, he has to help me set up the village! That will be the day I will find out if he REALLY likes me! My family and I joke about this EVERY year we set up the village. This year I am going to recruit my home teachers to help me. I'll consider it a trial run.

No work for the last two days of this week! I've got some awesome plans that I'm super excited about. It's about time for a reunion with my best friends, Savannah and Lynnae!

2 comments:

Savannah said...

Yay! I'm totally excited for tomorrow!
One suggestion on gifts: things that I find "meaningful" are getting gifts that remind me of the person. Like... your gift this year. Which I haven't gotten yet, but I found it and got all excited because it reminded me of you. :)
PS, don't let me forget to grab the "thing" I found for Lynnae. **winkwink** You don't know what this thing is, and I can't say it on a public blog, but I'm totally stoked to give it to her. I just don't want to forget it tomorrow.

Dave Kelly said...

So, you want to give your future husband a really good scare? Be careful though because you may not want to scare him away!