Saturday, October 29, 2011

Donut Falls and Other Adventures

This past week has been quite an adventure. A week ago I escaped reality by hanging out with two of my best friends, Savannah and Lynnae, in Salt Lake. It felt like old times and it was amazing! We stayed up until 3 in the morning talking and then hiked to Donut Falls the next day. Now, a week later, I really wish I were back with them, feeling like I did with them. Good news is that I made it to the falls this time and without breaking anything! Here are a couple of pictures:



Work this week was emotionally exhausting, to say the very least. It is so hard to learn about what the kids have to deal with at home knowing the only thing I can do to help them is love them and be the very best teacher I can be. Many things have come to the surface this week that make me ache for these kids and wish I could take them home and take care of them myself--or have my own kids to love and take care of.

Monday, we had a child throw up at lunch. Tuesday, I had to help a child through a kind of seizure. Technically, it's something like holding breath syndrome, but he's been doing it since he was 3 weeks old, so there's got to be something more to it than seeking attention. He's the child that I've thought a lot about at home this week. He is going through so much right now. Wednesday we had a field trip to the dentist. The field trips went well, considering how the previous two days went. We did spontaneously buy two society finches when we randomly went to a pet store after the dentist with our kids. I've recently really have wanted to get pet birds, so it's kind of fun to finally have some even though they aren't mine. The kids haven't named them yet, but we will do that on Tuesday. One of the problems with the birds are that we failed to remember that one of our kids in the afternoon has asthma... not good. So, we may end up having to get rid of them. Oh well, I guess. :(

Thursday, so much happened that I can't even get into it, but it was enough that I really had to keep myself in check that I didn't become the cranky co-worker on "Happy Cranky Co-worker Day." Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to my 3 days off of work next week! Today was parent teacher conferences and I had a long list of things I needed to get done, which I was very happy I was able to do despite feeling so overwhelmed and just tired of being at work this week.

On the bright side, I started scrapbooking again! Just about every night this week I've scrapbooked while rewatching season 4 of Chuck. It felt so good! Tonight I finished scrapbooking pictures of things I've done since I've moved here except for pictures from my Nauvoo Pageant experience this year, which I will probably start tomorrow. It feels so good to accomplish something. Scrapbooking just gives me so much joy. I know, it's weird, but that's me. :)

On the not-so-bright side, when my grandma went to the doctor on Thursday, she fainted in the waiting room. Afterwards, they did blood tests and everything came back normal, so they think that she may just be dehydrated. I wouldn't be surprised. She's had numerous dizzy spells lately, so I'm actually glad that she fainted when she was there so they could know about it and try to help her. I just really wish that she hadn't driven herself home after that. It makes me nervous every time she drives, even more so to think that she drove after she fainted! I also wish she had called me and I could have helped her. On Monday she will have an echocardiogram done. They will do an ultrasound on her heart to see exactly how it is functioning now that she's had some treatments done to help her with her congested heart failure. That should help us know where she's at in the disease and what needs to be done to continue helping her feel comfortable.

Oh, and for those of you who don't already know, my dad got a job! He was only out of work for about two weeks, which was awesome!

No comments: