Sunday, December 18, 2011

I Believe in Santa Claus

Today we had a really great Relief Society lesson on the symbols of Christmas where the teacher read some children books and had us look up scriptures and talk about the different symbols we see all around us at Christmas time. Before she started reading "I Believe in Santa Claus," she asked us if we all believed in Santa. I said yes, but I thought why I did for the rest of the lesson. I do believe in Santa and I will try to explain why, although I pretty sure what I'm thinking won't quite translate into words exactly.

To preface this, I'm not writing all this to boast or whatever, I just want to share an experience that has helped me gain a better understanding of what Christmas is really all about.

This past week I had the opportunity to deliver presents to a family who otherwise would not have been able to provide Christmas for their children this year. It was a tender moment to step into their house and give them two big bags of things that their children needed and wanted for Christmas- clothes, books, and toys. It was a humbling experience that I won't soon forget and hope to repeat next year. They kept telling me that I was their angel. They gave me a loaf of apple bread and a card. Part of the card said, "We want to sincerely thank you for your generosity in this time of need. Without your help, my children would not have received gifts. You are our Santa Claus in this Christmas."

Later, I was watching a Christmas movie when I started to wonder where all the letters to Santa actually go each year. So, I googled it and learned that in 1912 someone in the postal service started an organization called "Operation Santa Claus." Basically, when a letter doesn't have a complete address to Alaska or it just says North Pole on it, the letters are sorted out for "Operation Santa Claus." Postal employees open the letters and sort out the ones who are in most need. Then, people can come to the post office and look through letters and choose up to 10 letters to "answer" by buying gifts and then taking them to the post office to have them sent. Not all post offices do it, but I thought it was incredible that people could and would do that!

So, when the teacher asked if I believed in Santa, I said Yes. I said yes because there are Santas all over who are willing to give a little of what they have to answer the prayers and needs and wants of other people in need. I had the opportunity to be Santa this year and it was the best feeling in the world. Isn't that the spirit of Christmas?

I know not many actually read my blog, but I want to challenge those who do to be a Santa for someone this Christmas. It doesn't have to be answering a "Dear Santa" letter or "Sub for Santa" thing. People are in need all around us, in fact, I bet you live with at least one person who qualifies. Do something for them.

1 comment:

Flamel said...

We read the same story in my ward! So that's cool.