Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Year In Review

Tonight I went on a date with my best friend Kristen. She and I have been friends since my sophomore year in high school. Every time I come home, she and I go on a "date" to Baskin Robbins and we catch-up with each other. As I thought about our date last year, I realized how much has changed in my life this past year. On our date a year ago, she strongly encouraged me to move out of the place I'd lived for about 6 years or so. I told her I'd think about it. Little did I know that I really would and that conversation would lead to some major changes in my life in a very short time period.

It's hard to believe that I've only been living with my grandma for 8 months. It feels like SO MUCH LONGER! So much has happened....

As soon as I walked into my apartment door when I returned from Christmas break, I knew I needed to move out. Very soon after that, my mom called to tell me my grandma was in the hospital with congested heart failure. It was at that moment I knew where I was to move. It wasn't easy for me to make the move for MANY reasons, but I know that it was the right thing to do not only for my grandma's sake, but for mine as well. It has been VERY difficult, but I've learned so much about myself and my life. It also has been a great blessing for me, in more ways than I can enumerate.

I moved in with my grandma in April. Shortly after I moved in, part of the basement flooded and my grandma got a pacemaker put in. We had lots of visitors come and stay with us throughout the summer, mostly family coming to visit grandma, which was good for her. In June, my ward got organized into a Young Single Adult stake, which has greatly improved the ward and my opportunities of making friends and enjoyable moments here. It keeps getting better and better in that regard. In July, I was in the Nauvoo Pageant for two weeks--some of the best two weeks of my life thus far! Work wise, I started out the year in Provo going house to house in the Homebase program of Head Start and then in August I was moved to the Pleasant Grove center in the regular classroom program. It's nice to live only about two and a half miles from work!!

It may not seem like much to anyone else, but as I look back, it's amazing how far I've come this year and I hope that many great things will happen this coming year. My main goal this year is to truly use my savings account as a savings account that I don't touch except for emergencies. I want to begin saving money so that in 4-5 years I can put a down-payment on my own house. That's the plan anyway.

No comments: