Sunday, April 7, 2013

365 Days

It's been a year since I posted a very "popular" blog post about my status in taking care of my Grandma Kelly as she suffered from congested heart failure. It's amazing to see how much has happened in that year.

This past week I was shopping in the area, so I decided that I would go visit my grandma's grave. Someone has kept it looking very nice with flowers and the bear sign that was always by the front door. It was nice to be there again. I feel that it was a way of showing myself that I have been healed and can look back now and feel good about everything that has transpired. It was also nice to feel that both my grandma and grandpa are pleased with all that I did while living with grandma and have done this past year, even until now.


I decided to go ahead and also stop by the house. As I drove the familiar streets and pulled into the driveway, a rush a memories flooded over me. What kind of surprised me was that the memories that came to me were all very happy. Things like sitting on the porch swing after going on my run up and down the steep hill, fixing sprinkler heads, pulling weeds, planting and taking care of my strawberry plant, taking out the garbage cans, picking up the newspaper for grandma, etc. I went around the house looking in the basement windows where I used to live. As I looked, I thought about how I did everything I could to make the basement look inviting and homey, including pin up bed sheets on the unfinished walls and hang up pictures. Many personal and meaningful experiences with my grandma came to mind that reminded me of the many wonderful life lessons I learned while living with her. That time with her and the innumerable growing experiences I had while living there are priceless. I am so grateful that I had that opportunity.




No comments: