Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Institute

This semester I took an institute class at UVU called Women in the Scriptures by Sis. Colleen Terry. It was amazing! I recommend this class to girls AND guys. For the final I wrote this short paper that summarizes some of what I learned from the class. I feel like this paper doesn't really do justice for all that I really gained from this class, but that's okay. :)

    Through this class, I've learned about so many amazing women. Thanks to the spirit, they have really come alive for me. It's very difficult to choose one woman that has influenced me over the course of this semester because they each have taught me something that has encouraged me to be a better daughter of God. But there are two women who stood out to me the most, who I have thought about many times since we studied them in class- Rachel and Hannah.
    When you talked about both of these women, you prefaced the lessons by teaching us that barrenness is the equivalent of unrealized righteous desires or unforeseen difficulties. This really hit home to me because, like so many others, I am single, 27, and have absolutely no prospects for marriage and haven't really dated for 7 years. Like any other single, LDS woman, I have a deep desire, even yearning, to date and marry a righteous young man and create a family of my own. Life has definitely not turned out how I thought it would. As you may remember, I lived with and took care of my grandma for a year and a half until she died last August. That was definitely an "unforeseen difficulty" that affected me in more ways that I ever thought it would. As I learned about these women and thought about how I could apply their lessons to my life, I found myself being healed by the Spirit and able to see where I was, what I learned from that experience, and see where I am now and all that I can do to keep moving forward with happiness in my life.
    Rachel taught me about faith, hope, and happiness. Even though there are moments that I feel that it is impossible to find and attract a good, righteous (and attractive) young man to date and marry, I know that God has promised me that it WILL happen and God will not forsake me or forget that promise. As I read my patriarchal blessing, those promises stand out and seem set in stone. The "barrenness" or "singleness" will end. It's not permanent-it's temporary! Rachel also helped me to have a better understanding of why it is so important to be happy now by making goals and working toward them. Thinking "when I start dating someone or when I get married I will be happy" will only lead to more unhappiness even when those things happen. Instead, I can make this year my best year. I can do those things on my bucket list like plant a flower garden or own a pet chameleon. I can use my china dishes and watch plays at a theater. I don't have to wait for dating and marriage to be happy now! I knew this all before, but learning about both Rachel and Hannah helped me to really FEEL it.
    From Hannah I learned that true happiness comes from my connection with the Lord. Her sacrifices are what made her happy in the end. I feel like I'm still trying to understand everything that can be learned from her example. Sometimes it's hard to put into words because it is so deeply personal and meaningful. I am not perfect, so to know that the Lord accepts my offering and that He works with what I have and doesn't ask for me to give more, is so amazing. He knows me and my situation, talents, desires, and everything perfectly and as I give it all to the Lord, He promises that He will bless me. Now, as I mentioned earlier, I haven't dated anyone in seven years. It would be very tempting to ask, "What's wrong with me? Am I not righteous enough? Am I not trying hard enough? Am I trying too hard?" Hannah taught me that it hasn't happened or isn't happening not for anything that I've done or haven't done. There isn't anything wrong with me. I can have full confidence in God's promise that I will date and marry in this life and I can be happy as I continue to pursue righteousness and improve my relationship with God. As I strive to be a better handmaiden of the Lord, fully consecrated to Him, I know that He will delight to bless me with the righteous desires of my heart.

No comments: