Sunday, April 7, 2013

39 days and 18 hours and counting...

Or 24 more teaching days until summer vacation! I'm not excited at all.

For the past few months I've been rehearsal for a ward roadshow. It wasn't really a "roadshow," it was more like a play we put on for the ward. I loved it! I was a little hesitant to do it at first, mainly because I'd never had a major part in a play. In the Nauvoo Pageant I only danced and mimed, but in this I was the narrator. Now, this narrator not only had lines, but had a solo, too! YIKES! I usually only sing things like hymns or sing along to the radio, but this?? This was definitely out of my comfort zone and a real challenge. I just about quit a few times out of pure frustration, but I know the director would have killed me if I had.

Surprisingly, I wasn't worried about all my lines. It took me some time to memorize them, but I was able to say them most of the time without any problems. The solo on the other hand was a hit or miss. It was hard for me mainly because it was a completely different style of music than I'm used to, it was a song I wasn't familiar with, and they changed the words so I couldn't just listen to the recording and memorize it that way. After A LOT of hard work and a priesthood blessing, I did it! I gained the confidence I needed to perform. I got all the words and melody memorized and figured out techniques to do in my head that would help me to remember all the lyrics and not get distracted when I was actually performing.

The night of the first performance, I was definitely more excited than nervous. Even right before I was to start the show by singing my solo, I felt just fine. I'm so grateful for that! I made it through the whole song that first night! I forgot to sing a very minor part of it, but no one probably noticed except the cast. I felt very proud of myself. I had so much fun that night, I couldn't help but smile the whole night.

The second performance I got super distracted by who-knows-what and completely spaced two parts of the song. I just smiled, held up a finger that kind of said, "wait for it..." until I could get back into the song at a good point and then I finished it just fine. I did fine for the rest of the play, but I still feel that the first performance was my best. I'm just super glad they recorded the play on the first night! I'm excited to watch and see it all.

After 2 1/2 months of rehearsing and seeing these 11 people almost everyday of the week, I've made some really great friends. We made a lot of really fun memories together and even some inside jokes. If I could, I would write them here, but it wouldn't do them justice.

I am grateful I participated in the roadshow not just because I made such great friends, but because it helped me to feel the peace and happiness that I'd been lacking for a long time. Being a part of the roadshow helped heal my soul in more ways than I imagined it would. It also increased my confidence and helped me to see that I could do more than I thought I could when it came to acting and singing. It actually makes me want to audition for the Nauvoo Pageant core cast again... We'll see about that when the time comes.

On another note:
I'm super excited for summer! With the weather slowly warming up, I'm getting the itch to start going hiking again. In the meantime, I've been trying to walk/run 1-2.5 miles almost everyday and I'm loving how it makes me feel. My summer plans include finishing my Utah temple tour. I have 4 more temples to go to, not counting the 3 under construction or announced: St. George, Monticello, Brigham City, and Ogden. All of these are kind of far away so I'm thinking to make a trip out of them and stay over in a hotel one night when I go. I want to plant a garden, since I have the space to do that here and it's all my own! I also want to go geocaching, go to plays, and use my pass of all passes to do things. I'm planning on applying for another position at my work that pays a little more and will give me administrative experience, too. If I get that, I would start working again in July, so that means I don't have much time to waste if I am to do all this stuff!!

Here are some pictures from the roadshow. Thanks for reading my ramblings...
"Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows..."

My Solo- "Christie Lee"

"You creep!" (He deserved that)

"I'm going on a mission!!"

"Now, my French is a little rusty, but I believe what he tried to say there was..."

 "I like the vacuum the floor. Indeed, I forgot the disco ball. Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!"
"Where is the toilet, you'll need surgery, but it's not my fault!"
"Your hair smells like garbage, but of course! You look like a great big monkey!"
"A little birdie, a dove to be precise, told me..." "It was actually MEEEE!"

"Riddle me this, why is it that Canadian bacon isn’t really bacon? It's just ham!"


Spiritual push-ups


It's all in the game


Backstage-the unseen fun


Christie Lee!!

No comments: