Monday, September 20, 2010

First Day of School!!

The first two days of school are like the Ground Hog's Day movie. We have an AM and PM class and the first two days of class we divide up which kids come when so we don't have a lot of parents and kids in the classroom at once. This means we teachers have to go through the first day at school FOUR TIMES! I only go through it two times because I am only part time in the afternoon this year. All the same, by the end of tomorrow, we will be ready for a change!

The first day with kids in the classroom went pretty well. We have a couple criers in my class, but they didn't cry the whole time. I forgot how little they are. It's amazing to see where they are developmentally now and know where they can be by the end of the year. For most of these kids, this is their first time in a school setting and being away from their parents for a more extended period of time with strangers. These kids come from various backgrounds, some not as good as others. Our classes are very multicultural and so it is fun to see how they interact. Considering some of these kids only speak Spanish, Japanese or Portuguese, they did very well today. One of the kids really reminds me of my nephew because of how big and chunky he is, so it is fun to interact with him.

I am really grateful that my job isn't stressful anymore and I can go to work and have a good time. Yeah, you would expect that, since I am a preschool teacher, but it wasn't that way at all last year. I love my co-workers and love being with the kids, knowing I am doing so much to help them. I will be taking lots of pictures of the kids and the stuff we do this year and will be sure to post some of them on here for your enjoyment. :)

These past couple weeks have been really crazy and stressful. I am hoping that with my set work schedule now, things will calm down a bit. I've been working long hours for being trained prior to work starting again. Also, I've been trying to get things done for my calling and in my personal life. I think I've still been having problems adjusting to the newness of things in my life. I'm just as bad as a little kid!

Even though I've been pretty busy and stressed, I've had many good times and made many great memories these past couple of weeks. My apartment's quote board is getting full of quotes already. I've definitely contributed some of those quotes, including, "Lynnae's like 'play hard to get,' but I'm like 'PLEASE TAKE ME!!' " It's funny because it's kind of true... I'm not desperate though. My roommates and some friends and I went to the Diamond Fork Hot Springs again. There a guy squeezed my foot with his hand a bunch of times under the water and when I asked him what he was doing he said, "I thought it was a squishy rock."

My roommates really liked the picture below because they said that it is an expression I have on my face a lot and it shows my personality. Is that true??

The first week of school for BYU students, my ward sponsored an activity almost every night of the week. At the end of the week, we had a boating activity that was tons of fun. We just about fell off the raft at least 3 or 4 times. It was scary, but really awesome!
These past couple weeks we've also had people over for movies, games, and dinner. I've felt a little more domestic lately, enough that I've made food and invited people over to try some. I'm super busy, but it's a good busy. Hopefully this week I will get things in order so I can start working on the projects and other things I want to do! I'm pretty excited to get to know the kids in my class this year!

1 comment:

Lynnae Jackson said...

Shelle Belle! You have no idea how relieved I am that you are having a good school year. Now let's see what we can do about everything else that's stressing you out, right? :) Love you for always.