Sunday, September 18, 2011

In Over My Head??

I think I might be in over my head, although, I just thought of a quote by Joseph Smith where he said, "Deep water is what I'm wont to swim in." That just may be the case with me right now.

This morning I got a call from a counselor in the bishopric where he said they had a new calling to give me. Okay! I figured it wouldn't be long before I'd be put back into a leadership position of some sort and not just on a committee. It turned out that it wasn't just a new calling, it was ANOTHER calling in addition to my current calling. He said that it's a "rare thing" for them to do, but they felt that I could handle it. So, now I am the Relief Society Visiting Teaching Coordinator and I am still on the FHE committee. Although it's going to be a little hard having both callings, I consider it a tender mercy and answer to prayer that I got this second calling. Just before he called, I was thinking about some things I know that I should be doing and had decided that I would ask the RS president what I can do to help her so that I can do more to serve the sisters in RS. Well, I got my answer! It just reconfirmed to me that Heavenly Father is aware of my desires and knows what I need to continue to grow and feel happy.

So now I have two callings. Despite feeling that it is a good calling for me to have right now, I am feeling overwhelmed. Not just with my callings, but with life and responsibility. I know I can do it all with the Lord's help, but it's still hard and I often have moments of great anxiety. In a talk given to YSA's last Sunday, Sister Oaks said that she was counseled in a blessing when she was single and having a hard time that if she couldn't handle the difficulties of life when she is single, she could never handle the difficulties of life when she is married. That really hit me and made me want to do better in handling the many challenges I have to face right now. To be honest, dating/relationships is not even on the plate of concern right now. I have so many other things I am trying to do that dating/relationships I have just put into the hands of the Lord, because I have done and am doing all that I can. Besides, another thing Sis. Oaks said that I already felt was that I should be more concerned about becoming the best disciple of Christ that I can be than about getting married. That is sound advice that I am definitely striving to follow.

I don't want to spell out all the things I am experiencing that are making me feel overwhelmed, but I just wonder if it's one of those moments where there is something I SHOULD let go of or if I really am doing all that I am supposed to be doing and it just happens to be A LOT. If so, the Lord sure believes that I am up to the challenge. Overall, I feel the guidance of the Lord in my life and decisions and He will help me figure out what is most important for me to do at this time. In the mean time, I will be swimming in some deep water.

No comments: