Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I'm Graduating Preschool!

I just wrote my resignation letter informing Head Start that I will not be returning to work with them next year. As I started to write it, all the memories and learning experiences I've had over the past 6 years of working at Head Start rushed over me. I still can't believe it. My head has been spinning these past few days just thinking about everything. I'm excited, but also scared out of my mind.

On Monday, I accepted a position to teach 5TH GRADE at American Preparatory Academy, a charter school in West Valley City. You're probably thinking I'm crazy for skipping five grades. Well, you're probably right. I will not move from Provo. Instead I'll be taking the front runner and TRAX as often as I can until further notice. I wouldn't have accepted it except that this school is exceptional in that they already have everything I need to be a successful 5th grade teacher. Curriculum, lesson plans, materials... They already have them prepared. I observed several classes, 1st grade and 6th grade, and was very impressed by their quality and organization. The school runs like a well-oiled machine. They have high standards for teachers and students, but they all work to make an atmosphere of continual improvement and learning. Everyone has a coach to help them, so I will have someone there to help me as I learn the ways and methods of a new school. They use something called direct instruction to teach. It's very impressive to see how much the kids can learn using that method. It will be like learning a new language of teaching.

The only reason I can go from teaching preschool to 5th grade is because I am getting my teaching license through Utah's Alternative Route to Licensure program. I applied last week and should soon get a letter telling me what classes I need to take to become eligible to participate in the program. It should just be a history class, which I am enrolled in right now, but maybe not. Once I'm eligible, now that I have a job that qualifies, I will start taking additional classes and the PRAXIS exam to earn my license. I will have 3 years to get it. It will be a lot of hard work, but I am determined to get it!

I'm still wrapping my mind around teaching 9-11 year-olds rather than 3-5 year-olds. Ironically, fifth grade was my least favorite in elementary school because I didn't like my teacher. She was mean and yelled a lot. She even threw a chair at a student. I promise I won't do that. I cringe thinking about how I was at that age. Oh man. I felt a little better after when I was at Barnes and Noble today and I looked at the section for 9-12 year-olds. I saw a lot of art related stuff including stuff that I remember loving at that age- stuff to make bracelets, cool pens, and materials to make cool designs. It brought back lots of good memories. I also looked at the books they read and saw many of my favorites- A Wrinkle in Time, Harry Potter, and The Hobbit, to name a few. While I was there I couldn't help but look at the younger kids' books. I found so many that I would have bought if I were still teaching preschool or even kindergarten. Changing my perspective and learning a whole new way of teaching will be very challenging, but I'm excited to start on my new adventure. :)

No comments: