Friday, October 22, 2010

Sparks

I went on the most awesome group date tonight... and there were sparks! Before you get too excited about that, you have to know what happened. I'm sure you'll be jealous. :) My friend Kunkee works in the Erying Science building on campus and has connections that allowed us to have a huge group date to tour the building and see some pretty awesome stuff. My date was in my ward and was set up by my roommate Savannah.

Because I need to go to bed, I will give the highlights of the date. We went to the anachoric and reverberation chambers. Anachoric is a room where all sound is absorbed, so there are no echos. The reverberation chamber is where everything echos. We sang a barbershop tag in each of the rooms and it was really cool.

I thought that was cool, but it got ever cooler. We were then shown a bunch of tricks that you get to see sometimes in physical science class, but we got it all in one show! Rubbing metal pipe to make a pitch, vibrating salt on metal thing that made different shapes depending on how it vibrated, everyone being shocked by a battery, a static ball where Savannah's hair shot up... oh man, it was awesome. But the best thing of all was throwing lightening and seeking sparks. Sorry to disappoint some of you, but this was way too cool.

Savannah had a wand thing that lit up showing how much electricity was going between her and the static ball. The man who gave us the tour then had her wave her hand a little and send the electricity to someone standing a inch or so away. You could hear and it see it (when the lights were off). It was definitely something the Nefarious Lady Death Moon would be seen doing, so it was awesome. The best part was when we all held hands in a line and Savannah touched the first guy's (James') hand. We did it with the lights off and we saw a huge spark but at same moment we felt an almost painful shock go through us. It was so very cool. We recorded that shock and you can hear our reactions to it.

So, yes, there were sparks on my date, just not the kind you were thinking or hoping. :)

Oh, and just kidding. The best part of this date was definitely the liquid nitrogen raspberry ice cream. It is the best ice cream in the world. Yes, you can get some at SubZero, but it just isn't quite the same to me. I'd had it once before in an English class at BYU, so I was super excited and delighted to have some again.

In the anachoric chamber
The Spark
Making the liquid nitrogen ice cream. YUMMMY!

No comments: