Monday, July 5, 2010

The Nauvoo Belle in Swampy Nauvoo

Day one consisted mostly of meetings and organizing things for the pageant. Families in my cast began learning their parts and we oriented the kids briefly. Today our goal was really only to get to know each other. The kids are really awesome and we can tell they are very excited to be a part of the pageant. We gave them a journal to record their experiences and helped them make pens and a tote bag to carry their things in. The kids' ages range between 4 and 11 years old. It is obvious that many of the parents have put a lot of hard work into preparing their kids for this experience and it is paying off. Tomorrow is the big day. We have lots of rehearsing to do and lots of things to learn so that next we our cast is ready to perform. I will learn my role in the puppet show, which is before the show and part of the Frontier County Fair. We give away sock puppets to the kids as part of the show. I am very excited to get started and learn more about what I am to do.

Right after our district meetings this evening, it started raining, actually, more like pouring. So, we all gathered in this tent and sang hymns and said a prayer to wait it out. It stopped just long enough for the casts to practice the finale, but right after that, it really started pouring. I mean, sheets of rain, thunder, lightening, swamplike grass, flooded streets... Yeah, remember how Nauvoo used to be a swamp? Now I see why. I have to admit, I was sad not to see the rehearsal since I've never seen the pageant, but it was fun running in the warm rain across the grass in Nauvoo. Now I understand why my midwestern roommates love the rain so much. Anyway, we all waited in our cars for about half an hour, but the storm didn't let up. I went out in the rain to confirm the cancellation of the show and then proceeded to walk through the swamp to each of the families cars to tell them. I can't believe they waited, it was pretty obvious it would be cancelled. I laughed at what I must have looked like. I was soaked and walking in ankle deep water in a thunderstorm. It was funny and fun at the same time.

The rehearsal for the finale. Missionaries were there talking to the few who came to watch the show tonight, although it doesn't officially start until tomorrow. That is why we need people to pray that the storm will let up so we can start performing. So many have sacrificed and prepare to come here for the pageant, to perform in it, volunteer like more, or even more important, to view it to have their testimonies increased or knowledge about the church increased. One thing we talked a few times today about was the fact that no one comes to Nauvoo on accident. You don't just happen to come by Nauvoo. Everyone comes here for a purpose. Some may not know what that purpose is, but they come. Something draws them there and they make the effort to come. That is why it is so important that we do this show. Not only to increase our testimonies and our understanding of the early saints, but to help those who come looking for something to improve their lives. We all have stories of what brought us here. I can't wait to hear the stories of those I meet who come to see the pageant.

No comments: