Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Business Opportunity

Last week I showed a few of my co-workers the two Oscar movies I edited for my ward Oscars Night. Right after I showed them, one of my co-workers (Jessica) talked to a neighboring classroom's teacher (Brenda) who is getting married next month and mentioned that she should ask me if I make wedding videos because that is something she (Jessica) really appreciated when she got married. Little did they know that I actually have experience making slide shows and that I have already made one wedding slide show for my brother Kevin.

They called me into the room so Brenda could ask me and I told her I would love to do it for her! She asked for a price... Um, what can you afford...?? In her case, she is working on a small budget, so I'm not too worried about what she will pay me. I almost said don't worry about it, but something inside me said that I need to allow myself to be paid for this.

Then today Brenda told me that she talked to her best friend and current wedding planner (Fae) about me doing Brenda's wedding slideshow/video. Fae was very interested about this because her daughter is getting married next month as well, so she wanted to talk to me about possibly doing her daughter's wedding video as well! I went to talk to her today and afterward I talked to my co-workers and I decided that if I am going to do this, I need to set up prices, etc to tell people.

So, I just finished doing that. I know that there are businesses that charge an arm and a leg for making wedding slide shows and videos, but I don't like that. I just want to help people preserve memories of a special relationship and occasion without adding too much to the crazy wedding expensiveness. I'm not sure how big I want this to be yet, but it is definitely something fun I can do to get a little extra money. So, for now, it my business will just have to be spread by word of mouth.

Ironically, my roommate Savannah is thinking of starting a business to take engagement and wedding pictures for not too much. Maybe we can work together. :D

1 comment:

Savannah said...

Brilliant! I agree! I shall refer you to anyone whose engagement pictures I take. As far as you referring me goes... DON'T do it before summer!!! :)
We'll be great partners. ;)