Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blue Cast Opening Night

Last night went pretty well, although I was really not feeling great about my performance for most of the night. I realized I was trying way too hard and forgetting to just BE and have JOY because that is how the message is sent. It took me realizing that I'd forgotten that to make the last part of the pageant just as great as I felt at the rehearsal night, if not better. I had an amazing moment on stage during the scene after the martyrdom when Brigham Young steps up and talks to us about building the temple and that the work will continue. I truly felt that we were representing the FAITHFUL saints who, even after all the drama of losing their beloved the prophet Joseph, chose to follow him. It was amazing and can't really be described. Last night I represented my ancestor named Abigail Starbuck, which made that moment even more powerful to me because I remember that her husband died when they were only in Council Bluffs, IA. Tonight I will represent Annie Colpetzer, who also lived in Nauvoo.

This morning I went to Yellow cast rehearsal as a mentor to help them block some of the scenes. It was fun to be back and I realized how much I have learned in only a week. I also realized the importance of learning on our own, little by little. There is so much freedom of how to do things in this pageant. Not that it changes drastically every week, but each family adds a personal touch to scenes that no one can tell them how to act or do something without ruining what we are trying to portray in this pageant.

While I was doing that Sis. Davis brought me lunch! She is incredible. The Lord really is watching over me. She also took me to Ft. Madison train station this afternoon so that I could get my train ticket changed from leaving Ft. Madison to go home to leaving Burlington, IA. The family I met on the train is leaving from there, so they offered to take me with them, which means a lot less time on the train or in the station and more time in Nauvoo!

This afternoon I got a much needed 1 1/2 hour nap. That's a rarity in this city, it seems. It felt good. I then had time to check out some stores and places I've never been to before, such as Norbert's pineapple whip stand. It was very good and only 2 dollars. I also went to the antique store. That place is interesting! I talked to the owner and she said that from the time she was little she loved collecting antique things and eventually she got so much stuff she started up the store to sell it and to share her passion. In there I found a old picture of Nauvoo from above where you can see the Joseph Smith Academy. I just happen to be wearing that shirt today, so it was kind of cool. It got turn down years ago, so it really is an antique picture.

I'm excited to perform tonight. It's the coolest afternoon we've had all week. I'd be outside right now if it weren't that fact that I have to be within feet of the router at the hotel to get any internet. It so happens to be near the diner... hence the need for that creepy night the other day.

Last night I met a girl from Scotland, which was pretty cool because there is a Scottish theme in the pageant. I got one referral from her, but I didn't get any others last night. I had some good conversations after the pageant with some people though.

1 comment:

Jules said...

We will be there Friday night & Saturday night... I just realized we will see your cast perform! I've been reading your posts and am so excited for the experiences your are having!! Hope to run into you... I'll be the one w/ 6 kids, 5 boy and a strawberry blonde girl. Hope to meet you after the pageant! Julie