Friday, July 1, 2011

Still in Colorado...


So, I’m on a slow moving train to… Galesburg, IL. I’ve been through more than 43 tunnels, and we are not even to Denver yet. Not going to lie, 12 hours on a train is a VERY LONG TIME and the best (or worst) part is that I’m probably less than half way there.

This is my first train ride and I actually really am enjoying it. It’s different than any other kind of travel I’ve done. The only down side right now is how long it is and how I find myself getting tired and just falling asleep just because I have nothing else to do.  I already know a few things I would do differently if I ever do this trip again (like bring a blanket and a pillow and REAL food to eat, not just trail mix and stuff like that).

There are many things that I really like about the train:
  • Large windows to look out at the scenery (which is beautiful)—even a train car called the “observation car” where you can sit looking directly out the window or at a table to play cards, etc and enjoy the views. Only downside to that car is it gets really hot in the sun. The windows have curtains in the normal cars to block the sun when needed.
  • Gigantic amount of leg room
  • Seats large enough that you don’t feel like the person next to you is sitting (or sleeping) on you.
  • Seats recline pretty far back and have two different kinds of leg rests.
  • Each row of seats have two plugs to plug in computers, phones, or whatever
  • You can walk around the train while it’s going (which is trippy) and go from car to car. I’m in the last car, so I’m three cars from the observation car and four cars from the dining car.
  • People on the train are nice and interesting… in a good way, not a creepy way.

I’ve been through the longest tunnel—6 miles long. It takes about 12 minutes to get through so they don’t let people pass between cars so as to not let the carbon from the freight trains into our train.

I only got 3 hours of sleep last night, but I managed to get a little bit of sleep, so I feel alright right now. My train was supposed to leave at 4:35 AM, but it was delayed because of snow in the mountains, so the train didn’t come until about 45 minutes later. My friend Laura didn’t stay at the station to wait with me, but it was just fine because there were some nice people there, including a guy who is going to be a part of the Nauvoo Pageant in Blue Cast just like me!  I enjoyed talking to everyone. I even gave one of the Nauvoo Pageant pamphlets to a woman who said she will go next summer.

Most of the scenery has been of the Colorado River. Because of the snowmelt, the river is flooding really bad. This train, in fact, didn’t run yesterday because of the flooding. The rail is right next to the river in many parts. I’m hoping that my train will run tomorrow since I’ve heard many trains that go through Iowa have not been running because of flooding. So, we will see.
Whenever we were by the river, people who were river rafting and canoeing would wave at us… or moon us. I guess that is a tradition of sorts. I fortunately only saw it happen once.

There are a few scheduled longer stops where we are allowed to get off the train to stretch and get some fresh air. On the first stop like this, I met the guy’s (whose name is Jeff) parents. They are the Roses. They have a portable wireless internet device, which is what is allowing me to make this update while on the train. Yipee! I’m getting off before they are because I am going to Ft. Madison and they are going to Burlington, IA. If they don’t have any problems, they will get there way before me because they are getting a rental car and won’t have the lay-over that I do. Oh well. Next time, whenever that is, I will plan my train trip a little differently. :D

Word to the wise—when you go on a train trip that you know will be long, bring something to do… Fortunately I brought a couple of books, but even those don’t last because I get sleepy reading them. Some people brought games like Uno to play or are playing games on their computers. Also, unless you want to pay 6.75 for a half of a 5 dollar Subway sandwhich or the like, don't buy the food on the train. Just saying..

Alright! We made it to Denver for a 30 minute break, but we have to wait for them to "park" the train in the station before we can get off. And then on the road… I mean, rails, again!

Below are a couple pictures I took on my phone. I have really cool pictures, but they are on my camera and will have to wait until later to be posted!
The Observation car

Train at Grand Junction, CO

No comments: