Thursday, July 7, 2011

Conversations & Referrals

I have to keep this brief because I only have 15 minutes until my next rehearsal, which I am afraid with all that I want to so will not do these things justice.

Last night was another great night. I only got one referral, but I realized, even more so after talking to other people about my thoughts, that quality conversation is just as important as getting referrals. Connecting to the pageant visitors as people is a very important part of missionary work. After talking to a member of core cast about it, he suggested that I can have quality conversations that involve us working together to help them think of people they could refer. A large part of that is being enthusiastic about the gospel and whatever efforts they make to share it with their friends and family without being overbearing. I am going to try his ideas tonight and see how it goes.

Last night I had another amazing experience talking to people at rag tying. This time it was toward the beginning of the fair when I saw two a little bit older ladies sitting on the benches we have at our station. They didn't want to participate, so I just started talking to them. Eventually it came out that they were both not members. I don't remember everything I said, but I felt prompted to ask them if they had any questions. Immediately, one of the women asked me, "Who do you believe Jesus Christ is? Is is just a prophet?" Wow. Fortunately, I didn't take too long to digest such a great question. I immediately began telling her who Jesus Christ is to me: my Savior and Redeemer, that without Him, I couldn't live with God again.... etc. I said things clearer than I thought I would under such circumstance. I talked about the atonement, life after death, and repentance. The whole time I felt that they were genuinely listening. As I talked with them, I showed them the pageant newspaper that has a section that briefly describes some of the gospel doctrines and principles that are talked about in the pageant. I gave them the free picture of Christ, which they accepted, and then told them about the pageant CD they could have. They probably would have referred themselves had I not told them, as I am supposed to do, that missionaries would bring the CD by. I told them that it is like me coming to their house and giving it to them, which lessened the hardness they they had, but it wasn't enough for them to fill out the card. However, as we continued to talk, I gave them the card and said that as they watch the pageant and listen to the music, they can decide if they want the soundtrack and then give it to a cast member. I hope that they did, but I won't ever know.

I had another good conversation with a girl about my age where when her family came up to her she said I was her new friend. We all talked for a while and it was very good... but once again, no referrals. I am hoping that with things that my core cast friend told me, I might be able to have conversations like that and be better at encouraging them for referrals.

This morning I had an amazing rehearsal where we basically blocked out the entire last twenty minutes of the pageant. It was incredible. I hope my next post will be soon because I learned so many things, especially about the women of Nauvoo and their importance in building the temple.

No comments: